Pages

Friday 21 June 2013

5 - Assignment #7: Composition - Rule of Thirds and Leading Lines

The rule of thirds is a composition technique used to make the picture less boring. I took a bunch of photos of things that I found appealing and I pasted the rule of thirds on top, and cropped it to fit the lines.


I absolutely love reflections, nature, and the sky; that is why I chose these pictures. I noticed that by putting the focus on the cross sections of the thirds, more of the image can be seen, while the focus is still.. well, in focus. In the case of the bridge and the flowers, you start at the focus and your eye branches along the rest, giving you a full sense of the picture. The other photos were more simplistic in nature, but the rule of thirds makes it a bit more eyecatching and a lot more appealing.

--

Leading lines are lines that one can follow to drag their eyes around the picture. These lines aid the focus of the picture and it's a pretty cool composition technique, in my opinion.


It was hard to find things that I liked that were led to by lines, so I did what I could to keep the stuff tied to my interests. The first pic has so many lines; it was the first leading lines picture that I took. It looks kind of bad since there's absolutely no focus but that's because of all the lines(the log, the railings, the top of the little shack, etc.). The next two pictures have the focus as the pigeon and the blue structure, and they're lead up by lines that are on the floor and the stairs. This last picture is one that I like, even though the leading rope stops between the wheels. The plant also leads up to the wheel, so I think it adds a nice contrast to it(man made stuff + plant).

I did 4 for both since I had so many pictures that I liked and I couldn't decide..

1 comment:

  1. Great idea, sometimes we are limited by our cameras and the ability to focus on the subject we want and have it placed where we want it in the frame. Cropping and placing the subject on the thirds afterwards is always an option. My favorite for the rule of thirds is the reflection of the lamp-post in the puddle. It adds another layer to the composition. Providing the "viewer" to find new things to look at each time.

    You knocked the leading lines out of the park! It's not an easy rule of composition to grasp. I have to say, I think you are the only student that included the white rails in your leading lines with the boats. This is an original.

    I'm also drawn to the curved line leading me to the blue sculpture. Another original view. And a great example of s-curves.

    Awesome Sara!

    ReplyDelete