Pages

Saturday 13 July 2013

Assignment #8: Scale, Depth, Framing, Simplicity

 We did more composition stuff in class; we covered a few things: scale, depth, framing, and simplicity.

Scale
I noticed that scale makes a photograph more interesting. Instead of guessing the size of an object, placing something with a known size next to it allows the viewer to understand the true height/width of the object being scaled. In this case, you can use Stephanie as a ruler to measure the tinman.
I was going to use a picture of D'alice but I forgot to email it to myself..

Depth
I was pretty confused with depth. I thought depth was something blurry in the front, with something not blurry in the back(which is actually depth of field). I was corrected by D'alice who said that depth was an image with a foreground, an optional middleground, and a background. Depth is used to draw the viewer's eyes around a picture, starting from the foreground of course. In this picture the depth isn't really that apparent, but the chair is in the foreground and the window/trees are in the background.

Framing
Framing is utilizing an area to frame a picture; it allows all the focus to be drawn to a specific spot. I used the armrest of a random bench at the housing area of the Quay to frame the flowers, but I'm not happy at how I cut off a bit of the top of the armrest.

Simplicity
This compositional tool is my favourite. Less is more. The object stands out more because it's the only thing you can focus on in this picture, and it doesn't have any distractions(though I wish it was a cuter flower..).

6 comments:

  1. I really like the fourth photo and how there only really are 3 colours to focus on. It's simple, it's nice. The second photo is a nice attempt, but I don't exactly know how to take a good depth photo, so yeah. The third photo is nice, but I think I would have liked it if it were only a bit brighter. I do like the first photo too, how you really can see the size difference between Stephanie and the giant tin man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your picture for framing with the bits of light making some parts stand out more. The fourth one think could have been closer it took me a few moments to figure out what I was looking at and even if it didn't get depth I liked that one the most it led me from the window to the chair over the ivy right to the sack I liked that one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, you clearly understand different forms of composition. Not to worry depth is difficult for many. Just remember front, middle, back or 1, 2, 3; it's a stepping process. Your photo with the Tin Soldier and Stephanie is great. Although you're not the only that took this photo, you provided an original touch by changing the angle of view! This small change added more interest to the photo and kept me looking longer. And I must say, your simplicity photo is great. I love Horton Hears a Who, and that's exactly what the photo reminds me of. Flowers always provide a great sense of contrast. Mother Nature knew what she was doing.

    Well done Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your last photo because it really is simple but its beautiful! I like where you chose to place it in the photo. I wish i could have seen Jimmy clearly but i think it ads mystery by not being able to completely see him! Good job Sara, i like how you capture your shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fan of simplicity! Really great picture. I wouldn't change a thing. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The depth is great, its genious of how you took it, I dont know I just love it. And also the framing is good, its a great idea of using the bench for framing, good job.

    ReplyDelete